Director Development Accounting
The Howard Hughes name is synonymous with entrepreneurial vision, tenacity and a pioneering spirit, values that today are embodied by The Howard Hughes Corporation. While Hughes’ passion for aviation and the silver screen are legendary, it was his visionary investment in real estate that forms the bedrock of the company today. At the core of our DNA we believe we can Make Life Extraordinary. For our people, for our stakeholders, for our shareholders and for the people that live, breathe, consume and experience our brand.
We believe in “Thinking Big” at The Howard Hughes Corporation. We are driven by entrepreneurialism, a passion for excellence, and an unrelenting dedication to success. Our mission is to be the pre-eminent developer and operator of master planned communities and mixed-use properties. We create timeless places and memorable experiences that inspire people while driving sustainable, long-term growth and value for our shareholders. We create environments where people want to live, work, shop, dine and play from coast to coast to coast.
The Director of Development Accounting is responsible for supervising a team of accountants in the accounting and reporting functions, such as month-end close, preparing and reviewing journal entries, preparing and reviewing monthly cost reports, account reconciliations, roll forwards, and assisting with financial statement preparation and maintaining effective internal controls in compliance with Sarbanes Oxley Act. The position is responsible for assisting in researching technical topics in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) regulatory requirements, maintaining master plan GAAP accounting model and any revenue recognition models, maintaining GAAP basis pro forma models, preparing ad hoc reporting, preparing cash flow projections and financial analysis. The position is responsible for administration and maintenance of JD Edwards general ledger and job cost applications and working in e-Builder cost system, Hyperion, and MS Excel. Additionally, the applicant must have proven ability to effectively communicate directly with Division Controller, Corporate Accounting, external auditors, Senior Management, etc.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervising a team of Development Accountants
- Supervising month-end close, including preparing and reviewing journal entries, account reconciliations, roll forwards, and financial statements
- Assist in researching technical topics in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) regulatory requirements
- Maintaining master plan GAAP accounting model, revenue recognition models, and GAAP basis pro forma models
- Ad hoc reporting for Corporate Accounting, Senior Management, others
- Cash flow projections and financial analysis
- Legal entity business registrations and local tax reporting for the State of Maryland general excise and use tax
- Administration and maintenance of JD Edwards general ledger and job cost applications
- Administration and maintenance of e-Builder and Hyperion accounting systems
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of 8-10 years of accounting experience required.Big 4 accounting experience is preferred.
- Real estate industry and real estate development or project cost accounting experience.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Access and related products.
Proven ability to effectively communicate directly with Division Controller, Corporate Accounting, external auditors, Senior Management, etc.
- Must be deadline focused, organized and exhibit problem-solving skills.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills including strong technical writing skills.
Strong analytical and organizational skills.
Handle a dynamic work environment with competing priorities.
Passionate, entrepreneurial and dedicated to success.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES:
- Undergraduate Degree with major or focus in Accounting
- Graduate Degree preferred