The Howard Hughes name is synonymous with entrepreneurial vision, tenacity and a pioneering spirit—values still embodied by The Howard Hughes Corporation today. While Hughes’ passion for aviation and the silver screen are legendary, it was his investment in real estate that forms the bedrock of the company. At the core of our DNA we believe we can Make Life Extraordinary. We strive to embody these same qualities for every individual that our company touches, from stakeholders to partners, from consumer to shareholder.
We believe in “Thinking Big” at The Howard Hughes Corporation. We demand excellence and an unrelenting dedication to success. Our mission is to be the pre-eminent developer and operator of master planned communities and mixed-use properties in the United States. We create timeless places and memorable experiences that inspire people while driving sustainable, long-term growth and value. We create environments where people want to live, work, shop, dine and play from coast to coast.
Over the past six years, The Howard Hughes Corporation has diligently worked to revitalize the South Street Seaport District. The newly renovated Seaport District will be world renowned for events, entertainment and retail. After completion, the Seaport District will encompass seven buildings on several city blocks totaling more than 400,000 square feet filled with cutting-edge dining, shopping, entertainment and cultural offerings that will be one of the city’s ultimate destinations. Restaurants will include culinary powerhouses like Jean-Georges Vongerichten and Momofuku Group led by David Chang, and an additional 40,000 square foot food market in the restored Tin Building rivaling the most popular food concepts.
For entertainment, visitors can experience leading cinema operator iPic Theaters’ first Manhattan location, the new Pier 17 building that will be highlighted by a 1.5-acre rooftop that boasts unparalleled views of the Brooklyn Bridge and the NYC skyline.
The General Manager is a senior leader responsible for managing and supervising all resources, processes, systems and staffing for a new hospitality venture. The General Manager will be responsible for ensuring consistently high standards of product delivery and customer service excellence. The ideal candidate will have extensive F&B/ Hotel operations experience with a successful record of accomplishment of leading large, multi-functional, teams in a high-end lifestyle operation.
The role requires day-to-day management of the customer journey from arrival to departure, through interfacing with, and serving customers, as well as constantly assessing and monitoring facilities, quality of offering and staff performance, balancing the short and long-term objectives of the business while respecting and supporting the more cultural and community developing aspects of the business.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee and manage all operational aspects of the business and ensure that it is running efficiently while providing customers with an exceptional experience.
- Serve as the senior on-site manager and a central point of contact responsible for overseeing all operations, staffing, financial performance and standards of service and delivery.
- Closely monitoring any and all on site issues affecting the business – systems, maintenance, customer complaints and more.
- Supervising maintenance protocols and taking all the necessary steps to safeguard both staff and guests through adherence to responsible health and safety regulations.
- Manage processing, filing and general administration of all Licenses / Permits / etc.
- Closely monitor customer attendance and security, making sure the team ensures all customers check in when they arrive.
- Lead the recruitment, training and management of all on-site staff (front of house and back of house), ensuring company policies on conduct, holidays and sickness are followed closely, and recruitment guidelines around race, sex, gender and diversity are adhered to company policy.
- Periodically review the staffing structure and reporting lines, ensuring that staffing is properly allocated to meet business requirements.
- Implement operational processes across the business for food and beverage ordering, prep and delivery, kitchen and bar back of house management, event management, guest relations, and opening / closing procedures.
- Oversee shift management to deliver excellent service.
- Oversee staff training and implement operational processes across the business for F&B ordering, prep and delivery, kitchen and back of house management, event management, guest relations, and opening/closing procedures.
- Institute and supervise business performance management protocols, ensuring staff are given clear objectives and targets, are regularly monitored, and fairly assessed for any bonuses, commissions, pay rises and promotions. Manage poor performance via proper evaluations and close monitoring.
- Instill an atmosphere of cohesion and cooperation across the business’ teams, arranging regular meetings to discuss upcoming priorities, events, new menus and offerings, customer feedback, staff announcement and maintenance issues.
Budgets & Reporting
- Oversee and manage the budget. Optimizing business revenues and controlling all costs to drive the highest long-term profitability for the business.
- Compile detailed weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports on business performance and financials.
- Work closely with the corporate organization to analyze customer numbers, performance and spend on a weekly basis.
- Complete ownership of all financial data and performance criteria
- Assemble detailed operational reports with a comprehensive overview of sales results, highs and lows, issues, complains, maintenance needs and staff performance.
- Discuss and implement initiatives and offers designed to increase attendance, and upsell food and drinks during off-peak times.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Minimum 10 years hotel management experience within a five or six star hotel or casino environment.
- Previous experience opening a full service hotel and proven record of accomplishment of providing the highest level of guest and employee satisfaction.
- Strong financial and analytical acumen.
- Must be a skilled leader who creates an inspiring vision, who communicates the vision well, and who leads by example through mentoring and coaching a high performance innovation and business analyst/process team. Must be results oriented and able to drive the process of converting and idea into production.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills are needed to manage this diverse team: must support and advance a culture of committed action, excellence and respect.
- Proven ability to align a team behind a focused vision and deliver against plans.
- Emphasis on creating partnerships with internal and external customers and looking for ways to support multi-stakeholder success.
- Outstanding communication skills (written, verbal and listening) are necessary.
- Strong analytical capabilities including budgetary and financial acumen.
- Passionate, entrepreneurial and dedicated to success.